The Dry was the heart of the mine.
It was where the underground workers showered and changed before and after shifts. It was the scene of much laughter and jokes amongst the miners.
In 1935 a new change house for 500 men was built to the east of Victory Shaft. The dry was remodelled in 1974, including a covered tunnel from the shaftbank and the modification of the locker room, showers and toilets areas, together with the bicycle shed at its rear. The dry is part of a complex of buildings (including the drill shop, electrical shop and stores, loco and wagon charging bay and repair shops, dry and boiler house) to the east of Victory Shaft.
The name ‘Dry’ comes from the period when steam engines powered Cornish mines. Hot steam pipes provided a place where the miners could dry out the clothes they wore underground. In previous times, miners had often walked several miles home in their wet working clothes.